Like the kipping Pull-Up, the Kipping Bar Muscle-Up is easier to achieve than the Strict Muscle-Up as it uses momentum to help throw your bodyweight up and over the bar. CrossFit Seminar Staff member James Hobart demonstrates the kipping bar muscle-up in this video.
Just like with other kipping movements, we do caution you to build strength and flexibility in the upper body to reduce the stress on the shoulders and upper back before working on the Kipping Bar Muscle-Up.
Points Of Performance
- Position hands on the bar wider than the shoulder
- Full grip on the bar
- Start hanging with arms extended
- Initiate swing with shoulders
- Alternate between arched and hollow positions
- Drive hips towards the bar while in the hollow position
- At the same time, push down on the bar with straight arms
- Torso leans forward
- Complete at full arm extension at support position