The Power Clean, as demonstrated here by CrossFit Seminar Staff member Julie Foucher, is simply a Clean where you don’t have to hit full depth on the Squat part of the movement.
In weightlifting, this exercise is used to develop power in the pulls of the Clean, but in Crossit, it has become a fully fledged movement on it’s own and often features in workouts. Theoretically, you should be able to Clean more weight than you can Power Clean, but in CrossFit it is typical for athletes to be able to Power Clean more, due to the fact it is less technical in nature.
Points Of Performance
- Stand on feet with hip-width apart
- Hands about one thumb’s distance from hips
- Hook grip on the bar
- Shoulders slightly in front of the bar at set-up
- Lumbar curve maintained
- Hips and shoulders rise at the same rate, then hips extend rapidly
- Heels down until hips and legs extend
- Shoulders shrug, followed by a pull under with the arms
- Bar is received in a partial squat
- Complete at full hip and knee extension with the bar in the front rack position