CrossFit Seminar Staff member James Hobart demonstrates the Single-Dumbbell Overhead Squat., which is a great core exercise. Using just one arm forces the athlete to resist against the tendency of the body to rotate to one side to compensate. Instead, switch your core on and work to keep the hips squared to the front in this movement.
Ensuring a strong Overhead Squat position will result in a stronger Dumbell Snatch, which we will look at next week.
Points Of Performance
- Stand on feet with shoulder-width apart
- Shoulder pushes up into the dumbbell
- Armpit of overhead arm faces forward
- Hips descend back and down, lower than the knees
- Lumbar curve maintained
- Knees in line with toes
- Heels down
- Dumbbell stays over the middle of both feet
- Complete at full hip and knee extension